Mortar, the Gargoyle
When I got this figure, both wings were pointing directly backwards. So I have boiled and repositioned the wings, and also moved the stance forwards, as it leaned way back.
After a few days, both the wings and the stance had moved rather a lot back to their original position, so I have boiled and repositioned a second time. Sadly, it has started leaning backwards again. So the stance is more “jumping backwards in surprise” than “aggressively leaning forwards”…Hope it does not go any more backwards.
At any rate, I used this bone to test my spray paints on the Bones material. I used Army Painter Uniform Gray Spray Primer and it worked beautifully! Absolutely no problems, even when the coat got a little thick in places.
So a wash with army painter dark tone ink (the little drop-bottle, not the quickshade tin). These inks are great, as they have the same general effect and colour tones as the quickshades, but are water soluble and dry fast and matte. A good alternative to the turpentine-based quickshade, and also much less aggressively staining than most dark inks from other brands that I have tried.
After that was dry, a quick and easy drybrush with Army Painter Uniform Gray, followed by a lighter one mixed with some white.
The rest was small details like the claws, the eyes, and mount. Base. Done!
This model has some horrible mold lines, in the pictures they are most notable on its back. I forgot to scrape them off…and afterwards it was too late. Oh well.
Leave a Reply